When: Thursday, July 29, 2021, 4 pm eastern time (UTC-4)
Title: Safety Reporting – the Foundation of an Effective SMS
Duration: 1 Hour
Who can attend? Anyone
Dial-in available? (listen only): Yes
A strong safety culture isn’t complete without an effective hazard reporting program. Unfortunately, helicopter operators sometimes struggle to establish and manage these programs, which can help avoid future costly—and catastrophic—accidents.
To encourage cost-effective, voluntary reporting of safety issues, HAI and the Air Charter Safety Foundation (ACSF), in cooperation with the FAA, have developed the HAI Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) for HAI operator members. The program enables operators to promptly identify, report, and resolve potential safety hazards without fear of reprisal.
Join us to learn about the program and hear our panelists share how an effective ASAP can help prevent accidents.
- ASAP is a voluntary, self-reporting program that identifies and reduces possible flight safety concerns and mitigates risk
- ASAP uses employee input to identify significant safety concerns and issues, operational deficiencies, noncompliance with regulations, deviations from company policies and procedures, and unusual events
- Each report is investigated, and corrective actions are determined based on a nondisciplinary approach to flight safety.
Our panelists will be:
- Joe Dickinson, Captain and Safety Manager, Hess Corp.
- Russ Lawton, VP of Operations, Air Charter Safety Foundation
- Chris Martino, Senior Director, Operations and International Affairs, HAI.
Joe Dickinson is an aircraft captain and the safety manager for Hess Corp. He is a former US Navy pilot with 20 years of active-duty service, predominantly flying P-3 Orion aircraft while also serving in various safety, maintenance, and leadership positions.
Russ Lawton is the VP of operations at the Air Charter Safety Foundation. He has served on the FAA Safety Management System (SMS) Aviation Rulemaking Committee and previously was responsible for developing and implementing SMS programs for member companies of the National Air Transportation Association.
Chris Martino is senior director of operations and international affairs at HAI. He oversees the association’s efforts related to manned and unmanned rotorcraft safety, operations, regulations, technology, and international engagements. A retired chief of the US Coast Guard’s Aviation Forces, Chris is now a sitting member of the FAA’s Aviation Rulemaking Advisory Committee.