Women in Aviation International (WAI) Commercial Helicopter Pilot Rating Scholarship
The WAI Commercial Helicopter Pilot Rating Scholarship is awarded to one pilot who has their private license and are in the process of attaining a commercial helicopter rating.
The scholarship awards US $2,500 toward the cost of obtaining a commercial helicopter rating. In addition, scholarship recipients receive:
- A complimentary one-year membership in HAI, the trade association for the international helicopter industry
- A complimentary full registration for the scholarship recipient and a guest to HAI HELI-EXPO 2021 (hotel and travel expenses are the responsibility of the scholarship winner and guest)
- A subscription to ROTOR magazine and ROTOR Daily.
The Scholarship recipient has one year from the date of their award to complete their training and receive their commercial helicopter rating. If the scholarship award hasn’t been claimed in that time, it will be considered void.
Payment of the scholarship award is conditional on receipt of supporting documentation from the student’s school stating that the student has successfully completed the required coursework and has received an FAA or international-equivalent rating. If the school hasn’t been compensated by the student, WAI will make a payment to the institution on behalf of the student. Scholarship payments are for tuition and training only, up to the maximum limit of the scholarship awarded.
Applicants must be enrolled in a flight training program at an FAA-approved Part 141 school or international equivalent. Applicants must also hold at least a second-class or international-equivalent medical certificate. Applicants who expect to receive their commercial ratings prior to Jan. 1, 2021, are not eligible to apply for this award.
How to Apply
Scholarship applications and supporting documents are due by midnight eastern time (UTC-5), Dec. 30, 2020. Please ensure that all portions are completed; only complete applications that are accompanied by all required supporting documentation will be considered.
In addition to your completed application, please submit the following documents:
- A resume
- Airman certificates, if applicable (provide legible copies, front and back, of all FAA or international-equivalent certificates)
- A copy of the last page of the applicant’s pilot logbook
- A copy of the applicant’s class and date of his or her medical certificate (minimum second class or international equivalent)
- Proof of the status of the applicant’s flight school as an FAA-certified Part 141 facility or international-equivalent flight training program
- Two signed letters of recommendation
- One from the applicant’s flight school program director, administrator, or instructor
- One from the applicant’s employer, instructor, or other who can attest to the applicant’s aviation background, training, and experience.
The scholarship winner is chosen by the WAI Scholarship Review Committee. HAI will notify all applicants of their status by approximately Jan. 15, 2021.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.