March 23, 2020
HAI wants to know: Are you prevented from operating as usual? Are you taking on additional missions? Are you concerned for your business?
HAI is working toward solutions for a variety of issues resulting from the COVID-19 global pandemic, and we would love to have your input about the best way to serve your needs during this trying period.
We need your input in three areas:
- How are you using vertical lift aircraft to help society during this crisis?
- Where will assistance in relaxing or releasing regulatory restrictions allow you to continue and expand your operations?
- How has COVID-19 or the economic slowdown caused by it affected your business?
Your response to the first question will help us remind legislators and regulators of the important role of general aviation—and vertical lift aircraft in particular—during natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes, or in this case, pandemics. Tell us if you’re moving people or flying supplies. Tell us how you’re helping society during a period where we must limit physical contact. Please provide as much detail as possible; photos or video clips of your efforts will be invaluable.
We included the second question because we’re hearing reports of understaffed civil aviation authorities hindering your ability to conduct operations. For example, some operators are reportedly unable to receive checkrides for pilots. Armed with your reports, HAI intends to address these issues at the highest level of the appropriate CAA offices so that realistic strategies can be developed to mitigate these administrative and regulatory gaps until those offices return to full status.
Your replies to the third question will help us in our efforts to ensure that general aviation is included in the overall strategy to prevent COVID-19 from becoming an economic disaster, in addition to its impact on public health.
To make our case to regulators, legislators, and the news media, HAI needs your observations from the field. to fill out a form with the following information:
Provide your name, the name of your company, and where you’re located.
Send any details of how you are helping your community cope with the COVID-19 pandemic, including dates, mission details, and any photos or videos documenting the mission.
- Explain if your operations have been hampered by the lack of staffing among aviation regulators.
- Tell us if your company has been affected by the economic slowdown brought about by the COVID-19 response.
- Once we receive your input, HAI’s Operations and Government Affairs teams will use this information to support our members.
- If you can think of any other way in which HAI might be able to assist you right now, let us know that, too.
Please stay safe, and please fly safely, too!
President and CEO